VÖLKL shoe factory: From a small workshop to official outfitter of the German Olympic team.
The founding years
Today's shoe factory VÖLKL was founded in 1926 by Franz-Xaver VÖLKL in the small town Alterbach. The one-man workshop started to produce wooden shoes with leather uppers that were worn for staples and farm work. Due to increasing demand and low expansion possibilities VÖLKL moved to Allershausen and modernized the production dramatically in 1936. During the Second World War, the expansion of the company faltered due to shortage of production materials. Until Franz Xaver VÖLKL handed the company to his son in 1967, VÖLKL had become an industrialized company with 24 employees. Meanwhile the products evolved to leather shoes double stitched style essentially used for hiking.
Under the leadership of Franz-Xaver VÖLKL Junior the company expanded further and established itself as a renowned manufacturer of high quality shoes. Athletes from downhill skiing, hiking and shooting appreciated the VÖLKL products for their quality and their comfort. For many years the company VÖLKL was the official partner for the German Olympic team as proven by the title "official supplier to the German Olympic team Grenoble 1968" and other numerous historical documents.